Seven accused including Razzak, Tofayel and Nasim. Case filed for the murder of Shiraj Shikdar

Comrade Shiraj Shikdar, a freedom fighter and the leader of Sarbahara party was cold bloodelly murdered after inhuman torture in custody at the order of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. The article regarding his death that was published in Dainik Shangram on 5th June 1992 is reproduced here. This will not only reveal the account of his murder but lot of informations regarding the activities of the party and about the overall situation that prevailed in the country under Sheikh Mujibur Rahman can also be known.

Staff reporter reported,

"Yesterday that is Thursday at the Chief Metropolitan (C.M.M.) Magistrate’s court a case has been filed against 7 persons as accused including Awami League leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Abdur Razzak, Tofayel Ahmed and Mohammed Nasim for the murder of Mr. Shiraj Shikdar, the leader of Purba Banglar Sarbahara Party. Mr. Sheikh Mohiuddin Ahmed, the President of Shiraj Shikdar Parishad has lodged the case. The accused were

Sheikh Mujibur Rahman

1. Mr. Mahabubuddin Ahmed ex superintendent of police.

2. Abdur Razzak MP

3. Tofayel Ahmed MP

4. Mr. E.A. Choudhury ex IG police and currently the Chairman of Pubali Bank

5. Brig. (Retd) Kazi Nuruzzaman (Ex DG Jatiyo Rakkhi and Bahini and
Ex Ambassador for Bangladesh in Sweden).

6. Mohammed Nasim MP & Co.

The accuseds have been charged under section 302 and 109. A noted engineer late Shiraj Shikdar was a freedom loving, conscious brave freedom fighter. For the emancipation of the oppressed class he at first, created a labour organization then fought the liberation war and finally formed the Purba Bangla Sharbahara party to carry on with his struggle. As his popularity and support was increasing with every passing day due to his dedication and activities for the cause of the people late Sheikh Mujibur Rahman the then head of the government became jealous and alarmead, and being worried and terrified to loose his power in face of growing un popularity he unleased a reign of terror on the workers of the Sarbhara Party. Even he hatched up many conspiracies in different ways to kill Mr. Shiraj Shikdar, the party chief. In the report it was stated that the accused maintained close contacts with Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his associates and trusted officials and used to hold secret meetings. And accused No. 1 to 6 were then placed in high offices thus they along with other associates participated and helped Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to draw up ‘the blue print to kill Shiraj Shikdar’. They carried out secret killing, kidnapping, arrest, torture and harassment of the workers of the party to implement their blue print. Describing the arrest and murder of Shiraj Shikdar in the rapport it was said that at one stage late Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the accused took a decision to infiltrate government agents in the party to kill Shiraj Shikdar and destroy the party. One of E.A. Choudhury’s close relations was also inducted as a government agent.

In this way on 1st January 1975 Shiraj Shikdar along with another party member were arrested from New market area of Chittagong and the same day they were flown to Dhaka. They were brought to the old airport and from there they were taken to the headquarters of the special branch at Malibag under heavy escort and special security arrangements. There both of the captives were separated from each other and Shiraj Shikdar was subjected to inhuman torture. On 2nd January evening he was taken to Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Banga Bhaban by the police and the special squad of JRB in a hand cuffed position. At that time late Capt. (Retd) Mansoor Ali the then home Minister, all the accused, Sheikh Kamal Son of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Sheikh Fazlul Haq Moni his nephew were also present at the Banga Bhaban along with Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. At the very first sight Sheikh Mujib started abusing Shiraj Shikdar. As he protested all those who were present including Sheikh Mujibur Rahman pounced on him. Even at that point Shiraj Shikdar demanded from Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to take necessary steps to stop the bank robbery by Sheikh Kamal and various other misdeeds. He also criticized his policy of slavery of India. At this Sheikh Mujib’s anger heightened and he became extremely agitated when Shiraj asked him to take action against endemic corruption. At that point no 1 accused Mr. Mahbubuddin struck him on his head with his revolver. Shiraj Shikdar fell down. Sheikh Kamal lost his temper and shot at him in front of his father. The bullet hit his arm. Simultaneously all other accused started beating him, slapping him, kicking him right and left in front of their supreme leader as Shiraj Shikdar lay on the ground wounded. At one time he lost his conscience. After that Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Capt. (Retd) Mansoor Ali and the other accused took the decision to kill Shiraj Shikdar and ordered No 1. accused to do the needful to execute the order. No 1 accused then took Shiraj Shakdar and brought him at the JRB headquarters at Shere Banglanagar. There he was tortured more. Later at about 11 p.m. on 2nd January he was shot and murdered in the JRB headquarters in presence of all the accused. The report further stated that Sheikh Mujibur Rahman as the head of the government in his statement at the national Parliament boastfully claimed,

"Where is Shiraj Shikdar now?"

This was the clear manifestation of his revengeful attitude. Then No. 1 accused took his dead body and the members of the Special Squad to Savar police station Via Talbagh as planned. Next day his body was transferred to the Morgue. In the explanation why the case is being filed so late, it was started that immediately after Shiraj Shikdar was killed his father late Abdur Razzak went to the police station to file the case. But as it was an autocratic dictatorship and JRB’s reign of terror prevailant, the police refused to accept the case. Because of the fear of state terror and subsequent political instability and authoritarian rules and due to pressures from various quarters for last 17 years it was not possible to register the case. The complainer, a follower of the late Shiraj Shikdar presently took the risk of his life and came forward to register the case to seek justice under relatively more democratic conditions. After hearing the petition the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate issued an order to the Tejgaon police station in charge to take necessary legal action subject to necessary investigation. Advocate Farmanullah Khan moved the petition. He was assisted by advocate Afzal Hossain."